It is one of the company’s departments with highest expansion rate, not only in terms of staff recruited but also because of the number and scope of operations performed. The works these engineers carry out are chief in the long and iterative process that is design and development of wind turbines. The analyses performed are directly related with the structural-mechanical calculation of wind turbine components. They are also demanded when carrying out projects in specific locations, distinctive loads appear on the devices and it is mandatory to characterize them properly order to guarantee the turbines’ survival.
This department’s capacities are also requested when pursuing certification: they compose the documentation and official reports that are submitted to the official Certification Organism; our engineers interact with the Certifying body on behalf of the client, no mater whom he chooses (DEWI OCC, DNV-GL, TÜV SUD, TÜV NORD, CWET…). This job must be performed taking into account the international standards and guidelines (IEC 61400-1 Ed.2 and Ed.3, DIBt, GL guidelines, etc.)
Services supplied by this department are:
- Fatigue, extreme and seismic loads analysis in wind turbines for specific site conditions. Making difference between day and night.
- Class and subclass certification of wind turbines following international standards (IEC 61400-1 Ed.2 and Ed.3, Germanischer Lloyd, DIBt, ...).
- Wind turbine certification under special conditions (i.e. extreme cold climate).
- Extreme studies reduced for the evaluation of the loads impact in the wind turbine due to meteorological phenomenon as typhoons.
- Loads analysis in wind turbines under the effect of partial wake due to the proximate positions of other wind turbines in a wind farm.
- Elaboration of large data bases covering a wide range of possibilities under conditions that can find a wind turbine on a specific site.
- Data analysis and elaboration of reports for validation of the data taken in the field, comparing with data obtained in the numerical simulations.